A citation is an online reference to your business’s name, address and phone number (Make Sure Your Information (N.A.P.) is Accurate.). Like links to your website, Google uses them when evaluating the online authority of your business. Unlike links though, citations don’t need to be linked to your business’s website in order for you to be credited for them. So, having your NAP listed in plain text is fine.
A citation is any mention of your business out on the web, with or without a link. It can come in various forms:
- Company Name, by itself.
- Company name & phone number.
- Company name, phone number, & address.
- Company name, phone number, address, & link.
How to do Citation
Prepare Your Information
- Your Name – Your actual name or the name of business owner
- Email Address – The Email Address that will be checked by the business
- Company Name – The company’s exact name as it appears correctly on Google Plus
- Address – The company’s exact address as it appears correctly on Google Plus
- Suite or Floor Number – Only use if there is a Suite or Floor number
- City – The company’s exact city name as it appears correctly on Google Plus
- State- The state the company resides in
- Zip – The zip code of the company
- Phone Number – The LOCAL phone number of the exact business location
- Landing Page For Location – The landing page for that office or physical location