- Go to the page or post where the link to your document will be added
(create a new page or post if necessary).
- Locate your cursor precisely where the text link will be placed (but don’t type any text).
- Click the Add Media button (above the editing toolbar buttons).
- Click Select Files or drag your PDF file into the dotted box. Your PDF document will be imported into the WordPress Media library.
- Once the uploading/crunching process has completed, enter the text you require (for the link on the page) in the Title box.
- Under ATTACHMENT DISPLAY SETTINGS choose Link To Media File. This ensures that text added to your post will link to the file you have just uploaded.
- Don’t forget to press the Update or Publish button to finish.
Setting the PDF to open in a new browser tab
It’s often preferred that the PDF loads up in a new browser tab, so the user can easily return to your web page afterwards. To set this:
- Click anywhere within your linked text.
- Click the Edit button (pencil icon).
- Click the Link options button (cog icon).
- Tick ‘Open link in a new tab’ and click Update.
- Update the page or post to finish.
Linking images to PDFs
Images can also link to PDF documents and can create a more visible link than text.
- If you haven’t already imported your PDF document, use Media > Add New in WordPress (from the dashboard) to import your document to the Media Library first.
- Click on the PDF in the Media Library.
- Copy the full URL (address) for the PDF to the clipboard.
- Close the image and edit the page or post where your link will appear.
- Insert the image (if not already added).
- Select the image and press the Edit button (pencil icon)
- Under DISPLAY SETTINGS, set ‘Link To’ to Custom URL.
- To finish, click Update.
Lastly, update the page or post.